Saturday, June 23, 2007

I saw Sicko last night... and guess who showed up?















That guy in the red hat... that's Michael Moore.

Funny thing is, right before we walked in, DD said, "Wouldn't it be cool if Michael Moore showed up tonight?" We walked into Lincoln Square Theater and heard a huge raucous upstairs, and we both looked at each other thinking the same thing... the man is in the house. It was a mob scene, with everyone trying to get a glimpse of the film-maker. This picture was as close as I could get.

DD and I got seats on the mezzanine level, so we didn't know why the theater audience downstairs starting cheering and clapping about 2 minutes before show time. Wouldn't you know it, Moore came back. Apparently he sat in on the previous showing because, "I [Moore] have lived in this neighborhood for 12 years, and this is my theater. I always come here to watch movies and I thought it would be cool to sit in the back row and watch my own movie." He addressed the audience and thanked everyone for coming.

He also said that he hoped everyone would enjoy the film and hopefully go out and do something about the injustices we were about to witness in his film...

I am not sure what to say about Sicko. On one hand, I want to say it's one of the best films I have ever seen (not an exaggeration). On the other hand, it was the most sobering and depressing film I have ever seen (also, not an exaggeration). I cried, and I am assuming everyone else in attendance did to... or wanted to, at least. Also, halfway through the movie I had an epiphany... I want to move to London. It was obviously just impulse at the time, but after seeing this movie maybe you can see what my intentions are behind that bold statement.

No comments: